Tuesday 22 September 2015

150 mile challenge update!

I just wanted to write a post updating on my progress regarding my fundraising challenge. 

As some of you may have read in my last post, I set myself a challenge of running 150 miles between the beginning of August and the 18th of October, including the Birmingham Half Marathon to raise money for Breast Cancer Care and Breast Cancer Now.

I am very pleased to say that so far I have completed just over 132 miles and there is still just under four weeks to go till the half marathon! I'm hoping to smash the 150 target this week and I'm aiming to do at least 200 miles altogether. Fingers crossed for no injuries please!!

I'm not going to lie and say its been easy because it hasn't. The chemotherapy and the medication I take to suppress my body's oestrogen production means that I get a whole heap more muscle and joint aches than I used to. A lot of physical exertion can mean that in the subsequent days I find it difficult to get out of bed. And I'm definitely a lot slower than I used to be. 

But over the last couple of months there have been achievements that I am proud of too. The evening before I went on holiday a couple of weeks ago I actually completed just over 13 miles - a half marathon:


Not too shabby a time either!

I didn't set of with the intention of doing that many miles, I just kind of had a bit of a Forest Gump moment!

On holiday I also managed to resist having too many frozen daiquiris on a couple of evenings and dragged myself out of bed at 6.30 am the next day for a couple of 3 mile runs down the beach front at Kamari in Santorini:


Beats Birmingham canal I think you'll agree!!

You can donate to my fundraising efforts here - uk.virginmoneygiving.com/rebeccas150milechallenge

You can also follow my progress here - www.facebook.com/rebeccas150miles or on Twitter - @rebeccas150mile

No comments:

Post a Comment